A fund set up by a Lancashire business awards to boost enterprise amongst young people in the county has awarded almost £16,000 in grants.
The BIBAs Foundation, set up by the Be Inspired Business Awards, has supported five projects which will boost employability skills, help establish new businesses and provide opportunities for young people.
It is the latest round of grants awarded by the body which offers grants of up to £5,000 available to 16-24 year olds in the county to develop skills and expand and build businesses.
It is sponsored by BAE Systems, one of the county’s biggest employers with more than 10,000 people at its sites in Warton and Samlesbury, which sponsors the Foundation and the Most Inspiring Young Person prize which will be handed out at the awards’ ceremony in September.
The latest round of grants included:
– supporting a social enterprise with setting up a workshop to teach carpentry skills to youngsters in deprived areas of West Lancashire;
– providing funding for a pilot project to increase employability skills among young people coming out of care;
– support a young entrepreneur to buy camera equipment to set up their photography business;
– paying for an aspiring actress to attend a summer youth music and theatre course;
– support for a young trainee accountant to pursue their career through industry qualifications.
Dave Holmes, Manufacturing Director at BAE Systems Military Air & Information, said: “To be able to help young people to achieve their potential is one of the most important things anyone in business can do.
“The BIBAs Foundation offers an opportunity to help support initiatives which enable this and I have been inspired to see some of the ways this is happening in Lancashire.
“At BAE Systems we recognise we are a part of the community in which we operate and within which our employees and their families live, so we are delighted to support the Foundation in the work it does.”
For further information on the BIBAs Foundation grants and how to apply please visit www.lancsfoundation.org.uk